Sunday, April 18, 2010

Pre-Trek Check In

Namaste!
I am now more rested and definitely feeling more at ease on the streets of Nepal. I went out today to find a skirt and must have looked like I belong as I did not get approached very often for buying things or to go in a rickshaw or for a taxi. When I said no thanks, they left me alone. Much different experience the last couple days! Even going into shops. If I did not find what I wanted all was good. I did not feel the pressure of buying something just because I picked it up.

Yesterday morning I went for a rickshaw ride - all by myself. This is an open little two wheeled carriage pulled by a man on a bicycle. First the price for the services was negotiated then began the interesting ride. As I mentioned before, the streets are very busy. I did a little video of my ride so I can show my boys a little of what it is like. I was taken around where there were temples and all through where there were shops. The children do not go to school on Saturday (the only day) so there were lots of children out and about also. And again, horns were honking and vehicles and motorcycles scooting in and out. I did get used to it and enjoy the action in the streets. Late morning, our group - Sharon, Joyce, Bev, Pam, Rod and myself - went to Bhaktapur. This is an ancient site and there is an 8th (if I remember correctly) century castle plus temples. There was a downpour just as we were leaving which cooled down the air. It is very hot and muggy in Kathmandu. Very smoggy. So anytime it rains it feels good.

Last night we were taken for dinner by Dicky and her nieces. Dicky is one of the sisters who is part of 3sister trekking company. It was a fantastic Nepalese meal. I enjoyed it very much. I have been a little sick but I believe it is mostly due to my body getting used to the spices. I guess I am a very bland cook!! My stomach is more settled now which is good since we are heading out on our flight to Nepalganj this afternoon. We will leave for Juphal tomorrow and trek to Dunai. It will be great to get into the country where it will be quieter and there will be fresher air. I love it here. The people are very warm. Some parts will get a little more time to get used to - it is not the cleanest and along the river it is very disgusting - the sights and smells...

I am thinking my internet time is almost up and will shut down on me so I will post. I will not have access now for about 10 days.

It is good to hear from you those who are able to post a message!! Just a note that Saskatchewan is 12 hours less 15 minutes behind Nepal time.

Linda

4 comments:

  1. Hi Linda
    Wow! What a great experience. The kids and I read your posts and viewed pictures of streets in Katmandu. We saw ricksaws and shops etc. Hope the food is agreeing with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again it sounds like you are having a great time. Thanks for touching base. My boys are calling your boys about coming over after school again tomorrow for some chocolate chip muffins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Linda..sounds like you are settling in very well!! We college buddies were worried about how close you were to the earthquake, but since you didn't mention it, all must've been well. Happy to hear your journey is amazing thus far and I am looking so forward to hearing more when you are able to post again...hugs....M

    ReplyDelete