Friday, April 16, 2010

Hello from Nepal!!

We are here in Kathmandu and the streets are always busy. There are dogs, cows, motorcycles, rickshaws, cars, trucks and of course people everywhere. It is amazing. Ducks in houses! Horns are honking all the time, the driving absolutely crazy!! There is noise and action at all hours of the day & night. You can not go anywhere without being approached to buy this or that but after awhile you get used to it and decide if you want to go out there or stay within the gardens of the Kathmandu Guesthouse! I am loving my time so far.

We went to see the sun rise over Everest today but it was cloudy so no sighting of the highest mountain in the world. After that we hiked for about 12 km through various villages in the country side from Nagarkot to Sanku. In between these two places I found a school and was able to go into the classrooms. The children are very welcoming and when I took pictures the students did the bunny ear thing that happens at home. The school is K to 8 with 250 students and only 2 teachers!! I was able to leave a donation at this school which hopefully will help them out as they are having some financial difficulties. I did not notice paper or pencils on the students desks. Rooms are small and the students side by side. Children are happy and in great spirits and very polite to the stranger from Canada...

I don't have too many minutes left for internet use plus we were up at 4am to go to see the sunrise that did not happen so I will sign off shortly. However, the trekking in the mountains that we did do was the best experience and is just a little insight as to what to expect in my days to come. Aside from being tired from the early morning, my body is ready for the next part of my journey.

Good night! It is almost 10p here so my 18 hour day needs to come to a close.
Linda

4 comments:

  1. So great to hear how you're doing Linda! I hope you find more time to post, but understand if you don't. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful to hear from you and glad you are enjoying everything that comes your way. Your boys are having fun too, all three of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds really fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like your having a great time!!

    ReplyDelete