Sunday, March 14, 2010

REACHING OUT
Namaste.

I started on a journey about a year ago when I made a decision to go on a pilgrimage in the Himalayas in Nepal – the Dolpo region. I have been training by taking exercise classes, going to boot camps, reading about Nepal & the Himalayas and being active with my family, Lyle, Jesse and Colin. It is my goal to be physically fit so I can take in everything each step of the way without being left behind!! While this is something for “me”, I would like to reach out and help others since I am going to one of the poorest countries in the world. Jesse and Colin thought we could help out other children. I have been emailing a woman in Pokhara, Nepal and she said not all children go to school as they stay at home helping their parents take care of younger brothers and sisters or they have to work hard in the fields. And they need the courage to go. It is our goal to give them a boost by providing some much needed supplies to the school when I get the opportunity to spend a few days in Pokhara after the trek. We believe this will give them some encouragement that people halfway around the world are thinking of them. We are now finding information on the Tapriza School that is in the northwestern part of Nepal in the remote Dolpo region where I will be trekking. This school provides education from Kindergarten to Class 10 for children from hamlets in the area. It is a long way to walk each day, so the children actually live at the school. It is my goal to seek out this school, as they are very welcoming of trekkers, and give a donation to assist these children as well. I will be leaving on April 12 and returning May 6 so I will be immersed in the culture and people of Nepal for a few weeks.

My boys and I have decided to let others know that they are welcome to make any contribution to this mission and then in April we will purchase some supplies for the Nepalese school children. I will also be able to purchase supplies while in Pokhara as I can only take so much on the plane plus it will contribute to their economy. We have decided that I would take only basic supplies, as the “fancier” items would only be able to be used by a few children and we want honour their approach of preventing inequality.


This is a very exciting opportunity for me and I appreciate all the moral support I am receiving.

Thank you!!


Linda, Lyle, Jesse & Colin

5 comments:

  1. You go girl! I'm very proud of you and know you are in for an adventure of a lifetime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Linda! You are an amazing person. I admire you so much. This really is going to be quite the experience for you!! I look forward to following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an absolutely amazing adventure that you are embarking on Linda! You are such a goddess!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited for you, Linda! I look forward to following your adventures as you share them with us. :-) Sending you positive thoughts for safe travels and an incredible life experience!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on the blog...I knew you could manage it..it's beautiful! I am so happy for you and am so so proud of you as you travel on this new adventure. My only sadness is that I am not going with you!! I am sending energy ahead of you so your path is free and clear. I love you lots and I know that this journey will allow you to grow and shine in amazing ways...blessings my Linda-Lu....

    ReplyDelete